One of the major attractions in the Geronimo Trail, which has its own Visitor Center in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, is the Pioneer Store Museum in Chloride. It is made up of more than a dozen building all congregated in a village setting. The Pioneer Store was built of hand-hewn logs in 1880, by a Canadian who came to the southwest to improve his health. The store served Silver Boom families between 1880 and 1897, stocking all kinds of household goods, food, clothes for the entire family, mining equipment and tools, and ranch equipment and supplies. Wagons, buggies, and other large items could be ordered, as well as such specialty items as brides’ trousseaus. A Post Office was established in the front part of the store building in 1881, and a newspaper, The Black Range, began publishing weekly from an upstairs rooms in 1882. The store continued operation until 1908 when it was sold to a mining company.
Previous Post: www.nsbfoundation.com/geronimo-trail-scenic-byway